Saturday, January 18, 2014

Oh Deer

I killed my first deer this week. I understand this to be a beloved tradition this time of year. Most Texans have done this by the age of 12. My boss uses a bow and arrow. I used my car. 

The insurance adjuster wasn't very empathic about the deer dying. It was traumatic for my kids though. They had many questions about death and something called "deductible" that made mommy cry. Sometimes the only way to quiet a child is with Steve Jobs Duct Tape. I handed them an iPad and drove home in silence. 

"I was disgusted at how many people asked me if I kept that poor deer to eat. I would never purposely kill an animal and eat it!" I said that night at dinner as I took a bite out of my hamburger that came from meat the way God intended. With a side order of fries out of a Whataburger bag. 



No comments:

Post a Comment